Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Lol, I've found these same mixed reviews online in my research. On one end they don't do anything and are a waste, on the other end they do break up the brush, just not very well, but good enough that I can throw it in a single container for collection.

The city picked up my 3 cans this week, I'll fill them up again and see if they come by next week as well. And maybe just for the hell of it, I'll pick up an electric shredder, expecting the worst, just to see how it goes.

I really wish we had a bit more 240v adoption in the US. I've heard of people importing British electric kettles and replugging them and convincing electricians that yes they really do want a 240v outlet in the kitchen. Likewise a 15 or 20 amp outlet outside at 240v would be great, if an ecosystem of equipment existed beyond air conditioners.

For reference, the pile of brush I'm dealing with. One way or another, I seem to end up with one of these about every year. That's a 32 gallon trash can next to it, for reference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

If I had to do something with that pile of brush in a suburban setting I'd spread it out and run it over with my mower and rake it back up before I'd bother trying to use an electric chipper.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
There are a few inch or so diameter branches in there, so first I'd have to strip those bigger branches. Which I'd have to do anyways with a little shredder. But that's not a bad idea, just throw the little stuff down into the lawn and mow over it.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

FISHMANPET posted:

Lol, I've found these same mixed reviews online in my research. On one end they don't do anything and are a waste, on the other end they do break up the brush, just not very well, but good enough that I can throw it in a single container for collection.

The city picked up my 3 cans this week, I'll fill them up again and see if they come by next week as well. And maybe just for the hell of it, I'll pick up an electric shredder, expecting the worst, just to see how it goes.

I really wish we had a bit more 240v adoption in the US. I've heard of people importing British electric kettles and replugging them and convincing electricians that yes they really do want a 240v outlet in the kitchen. Likewise a 15 or 20 amp outlet outside at 240v would be great, if an ecosystem of equipment existed beyond air conditioners.

For reference, the pile of brush I'm dealing with. One way or another, I seem to end up with one of these about every year. That's a 32 gallon trash can next to it, for reference.

Also check with the city collection schedule because sometimes they might do special collection days in spring or fall where they'll take more stuff than normal or bigger stuff

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

I guess I’m just spoiled but my city will pick up a pile bigger than that of basically anything twice a month with a giant claw thing.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
My town has designated areas with big bins you can take all that stuff and grass clippings and dump it off. It's very handy and I'm surprised more places don't seem to have this.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

They don't have them because they quickly get used as dumpsters for regular trash. All the recycling dumpsters and yard waste bins and what not around here have been removed because people were just dumping trash in them.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
That’s about what my brush pile looks like and the sun Joe thing has been good for it. My city only takes yard waste in bags and charges per so having it be smaller is very helpful for me. It also kinda works like a big paper shredder and sucks in larger (in the context of small brush) branches so it goes pretty quick. If you only have to do it once a year I don’t know that it’s worth it but I’m glad I have it. https://snowjoe.com/products/sun-joe-cj603e-electric-silent-wood-chipper-shredder-15-amp-1-6-inch

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I have a burn barrel and I use the ash as beet fertilizer

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
What do you do with the beets.

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003
Can always burn them for ash.

Do any of the mass-market retailers in the US have cheap-and-cheerful metric drill bits? It's not a tough or particularly pressing job, I could get away with ordering them, but it feels silly to pay $10 shipping on what should be a $1 part and I'm probably never going to get to it if I don't have the bit on hand or buy the bit if i haven't already decided I'm doing it that afternoon.

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
Speaking of drill bits, any suggestions for brad point bits?
I did this to a harbor freight bit in white oak

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
Famag is the good poo poo, but it's a German manufacturer so I have no idea if they're sold in your part of the world.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

powderific posted:

That’s about what my brush pile looks like and the sun Joe thing has been good for it. My city only takes yard waste in bags and charges per so having it be smaller is very helpful for me. It also kinda works like a big paper shredder and sucks in larger (in the context of small brush) branches so it goes pretty quick. If you only have to do it once a year I don’t know that it’s worth it but I’m glad I have it. https://snowjoe.com/products/sun-joe-cj603e-electric-silent-wood-chipper-shredder-15-amp-1-6-inch

When you say like a paper shredder, does it have many teeth that are cutting by biting into the material and slicing or taking off a chunk the width of each of the many teeth (like a paper shredder) or does it have 1-4 rotating teeth that chop stuff as it passes over a hole (like a scissor)? All the ones I've seen, including mine, are the latter and they are the ones that suck. I use mine to turn spikey rear end in a top hat bougainvillea shoots into raised bed filler but its tedious and many types of inputs will jam it or get wrapper around the spindle/cutter head.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

NomNomNom posted:

Speaking of drill bits, any suggestions for brad point bits?
I did this to a harbor freight bit in white oak

These are fantastic:
https://www.leevalley.com/en-us/shop/tools/power-tool-accessories/drill-bits/42247-hss-lipped-imperial-brad-point-drills?item=07J0128
Not cheap, but they are great and sharp af, cut very clean holes.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

withak posted:

What do you do with the beets.

eat them like apples

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

FISHMANPET posted:

I really hope 240v pressure washers become a thing with everyone getting EV chargers put in their garages. The little 15a ones aren't really enough, but I also don't feel like maintaining a small gas engine just for that. (and by become a thing I mean come down in price from $800)

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
They're not that cheap, but there are industrial grade pressure washers that work on 120v 15a power.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

EGO has one that runs on their 56V batteries but it seems to be much closer to a 120V 15A electric in performance than a gas one. I'll still probably end up buying one if/when my gas one ever pisses me off too much.

wesleywillis posted:

They're not that cheap, but there are industrial grade pressure washers that work on 120v 15a power.

They can build them as heavy duty as they want, but a max of 1440W actual continuous draw just isn't much when it comes to delivering a high volume of high pressure water, compared to a 5000W gas engine.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

IOwnCalculus posted:

EGO has one that runs on their 56V batteries but it seems to be much closer to a 120V 15A electric in performance than a gas one. I'll still probably end up buying one if/when my gas one ever pisses me off too much.

They can build them as heavy duty as they want, but a max of 1440W actual continuous draw just isn't much when it comes to delivering a high volume of high pressure water, compared to a 5000W gas engine.

I guess it depends on how much paint you need to strip.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer

CarForumPoster posted:

When you say like a paper shredder, does it have many teeth that are cutting by biting into the material and slicing or taking off a chunk the width of each of the many teeth (like a paper shredder) or does it have 1-4 rotating teeth that chop stuff as it passes over a hole (like a scissor)? All the ones I've seen, including mine, are the latter and they are the ones that suck. I use mine to turn spikey rear end in a top hat bougainvillea shoots into raised bed filler but its tedious and many types of inputs will jam it or get wrapper around the spindle/cutter head.

It’s a single rotating cutter with seven teeth that bites into the material and cuts it by pushing against an anvil thing. It’s like a paper shredder that only has one turn thing the cuts against a stationary piece. It works great with sticks and twigs but not thin green stuff or vines, which do wrap (but I dont care about as most of what I’ve got goes through it well) It pulls stuff in on its own once it bites you don’t have to push.

Edit: picture here https://photos-us.bazaarvoice.com/photo/2/cGhvdG86c25vd2pvZQ/bb757e3b-9896-5e9a-a0fd-a483f66ffe37

powderific fucked around with this message at 05:07 on May 8, 2024

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

I have the same model. It's fine for what it is and performs about how I expected it would. I leave any brush out to dry for a season before running it through and then it works much better.

One of these days once I have enough larger logs and branches stacked and ready to go, I'll rent a bigger machine. But this little electric guy is helping clear some brush without having to burn it all and provides some free mulch in some pathways as a bonus.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!
I want to replace the head of my 20V string trimmer, any suggestions?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Calidus posted:

I wouldn't use anything other than OEM if it's an otherwise good trimmer. I've replaced the head on my echo with the OEM parts a couple of times now.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
FIXED BLADE 20V WEED WHACKER

:twisted:

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

Calidus posted:

Do you mean the string feeder or like the whole head? The echo speed feed one is good though it's heavier than the OEM one on my DeWalt 20v so you can hear it working harder and probably shortens battery life

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!
Feeder my bad

aswert1223
Dec 6, 2004

The Ultimate Dripping Machine

Calidus posted:

https://a.co/d/diWWAFD

I've been retrofitting this head on every string trimmer I've touched for the last 15 years

Take a look how you reload with line, you'll never want to touch another type of head.

That's what she said

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

I can't remember ever having a problem loading line or getting it jammed on any string timmer that wasn't broken or worn out (they are wear parts). If that's what you've got going on replace the head. But it's really not difficult to load string on a regular head, and there are far fewer parts to break. And you probably have one already. So get good string (echo x-fire or similar) and watch a youtube or something.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

aswert1223 posted:

https://a.co/d/diWWAFD

I've been retrofitting this head on every string trimmer I've touched for the last 15 years

Take a look how you reload with line, you'll never want to touch another type of head.

That's what she said

That looks drat near identical to my Ryobi 40v trimmer. Poke the sting through, pull it even, and start cranking. They even include a little crank that slips on the head for easy turning. Longest part of the process is walking my rear end back to the garage for string when it inevitably runs out at the farthest point in the yard.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

That looks drat near identical to my Ryobi 40v trimmer. Poke the sting through, pull it even, and start cranking. They even include a little crank that slips on the head for easy turning. Longest part of the process is walking my rear end back to the garage for string when it inevitably runs out at the farthest point in the yard.

I love this feature, it’s on the 18V version too. I keep a couple pre-cut lengths ready to go when it’s time.

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019
Im think done with this stihl battery trimmer. I think its the fsa 45? Its maybe 6 or 7 years old. I can get everything outside of my backyard done on one charge. I do not have a large property at all. Its a tiny suburban lot with a somewhat small house. Maybe i was an early adopter and thats why this one was not great? I think this was the first stihl battery trimmer with their AP battery.

Anyways. Should i get another stihl or is there another brand that you guys favor? Im not tied to any battery family. None that would be relevant now.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

I've been happy with my ego brand tools. I'll be getting their weed whacker next when my dirt cheap Black and Decker finally dies.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

ZombieCrew posted:

Im think done with this stihl battery trimmer. I think its the fsa 45? Its maybe 6 or 7 years old. I can get everything outside of my backyard done on one charge. I do not have a large property at all. Its a tiny suburban lot with a somewhat small house. Maybe i was an early adopter and thats why this one was not great? I think this was the first stihl battery trimmer with their AP battery.

Anyways. Should i get another stihl or is there another brand that you guys favor? Im not tied to any battery family. None that would be relevant now.

Has it always had this problem, or is it more recent? Because at 6 ot 7 years on the original battery I'd guess it's time for a new battery which should fix the runtime problem.

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019

Motronic posted:

Has it always had this problem, or is it more recent? Because at 6 ot 7 years on the original battery I'd guess it's time for a new battery which should fix the runtime problem.

Its gotten worse over the years, but it has always burned through its charge pretty quick. First day i used it, i was able to get into the backyard, but not complete it.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

ZombieCrew posted:

Its gotten worse over the years, but it has always burned through its charge pretty quick. First day i used it, i was able to get into the backyard, but not complete it.

Yeah then I wouldn't bother replacing the battery. Sounds like you're done with it. And the new stuff really is so much nicer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

grabbed one of those 6 in 1 fastbacks and immediately got another for when I missplace it