Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Ofecks posted:

WTF. How common are those? Are they fancy private schools or something? Does Japan even have a public school system? I always assumed they did.

Your high school "resume" is very important.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

I've been reading Sono Koi wa Ichigo no Youni, and it's hecking cute.

I've seen it used both for people who aren't in clubs, and also for people who got to schools where club attendance is mandatory, so they just play hookey.

Yeah it depends on the school, some of the higher end college prep high schools have mandatory club, but most of the public schools while they have clubs they are not mandatory generally.

But if you go to some of the higher end schools showing a lack of effort by not joining a club is frowned upon, with the exception if you are in student council or any other committee.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 02:45 on May 15, 2024

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Doing extracuriculars looks good to college/university. Therefore you are all required to do one, making it both no longer extracurricular, and no longer relevant to colleges.

It's Tautology Club all over again.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Elfface posted:

Doing extracuriculars looks good to college/university. Therefore you are all required to do one, making it both no longer extracurricular, and no longer relevant to colleges.

So basically like when they would force us all to take a second language because “colleges like to see it”.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Elfface posted:

Yeah I have a friend who went to high school in Japan and he joined the Student Council just so he could get around the requirement to join a club, and because it would look good on his educational resume.

Nemo2342 posted:

So basically like when they would force us all to take a second language because “colleges like to see it”.

Yes, and to be fair in Japan, English is compulsory from 3rd Grade up for Business reasons, so you are already required to take a second language.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 18:46 on May 15, 2024

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
New series I found 'Oshinobi-Dousei' : https://mangadex.org/title/1563cd49-ee38-4a46-a4f0-429dc07cd4a1/oshinobi-dousei

Two Ninja from clashing clans room together after after accidentally proposing during a fight.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

CommieGIR posted:

New series I found 'Oshinobi-Dousei' : https://mangadex.org/title/1563cd49-ee38-4a46-a4f0-429dc07cd4a1/oshinobi-dousei

Two Ninja from clashing clans room together after after accidentally proposing during a fight.

No wonder it looked familiar, it's the Gyaru and Cthulhu guy

edit: last uploaded chapter: 10 months ago :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

Looks like the translator has bad or missing raws for a few chapters so is waiting for the volume 2 release which should be pretty soon. The manga should also wrap up at the end of vol 2 so that's nice.