Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

njsykora posted:

Staffing levels at work are getting so bad that the closing manager last night was "hand on the timeclock" close to just walking out. We were down to just 3 people after 10pm with no signs of customers slowing down and higher ups not budging at all on letting us do anything to ease the load like turning off deliveries. Something's going to snap here at some point because 2 of our 4 regular closing crew are already no-showing multiple shifts a week.

I'm on my yearly vacation time at the moment and wondering if I'm going to come back to a new manager, I know he was going to have a serious talk with the warehouse manager this week about how his staffing budget had been completely strangled over the last few years, and that he was strongly considering quitting if they didn't move on it(since he, being salaried, was having to pick up the slack and regularly working 60-hour weeks). I told him he could threaten them with my resignation if he resigned, since he knows that's going to completely gut the department and leave the assistant warehouse manager having to handle the entire thing himself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
Every CEO dreams of the Utopia without staff, product or customers.

A line going up, forever.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Konstantin posted:

Even sending clothes to developing countries needs to be done carefully. In a lot of places clothes are still made using small scale household labor, and it's often the main source of income for poor women. Flooding the market with cheap or free clothes can easily drive them into either slavery or starvation. Even if it didn't disrupt local economies like this, sending poor Africans your crap helps much less then just taking what it costs to ship it and distributing that amount as cash aid.

Assuming the clothes even go anywhere.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/inside-the-landfill-of-fast-fashion-chile/

That said, recycling does at least give them a chance of some use, rather than straight up landfill.

Funktastic
Jul 23, 2013

I had to do the schedule a few times this month and have learned that for some reason the company only wants us to have the main fitting rooms open for 2 hours on Thursdays. Which of course has caused issues when they’ve been sending us more clothes this month than they’ve sent since Christmas.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Did you get 43,000 pounds of clothes on a flatbed trailer? We might know the source.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
I love the writing on the wall while the managers claim to be illiterate.

Starting in a week, we will be getting paid weekly instead of every two weeks to "help team members." Also in June, phase 1 begins where our overnight and ground services merge into one company, AND the other ones like freight and office, which I am, become subsidiaries.

All the DMs were at the big HQ this past week for meetings and aren't saying anything. We're supposed to get news about our phase, which is 2, which starts in September, after our slow season of the summer.

Management says they know nothing. Maybe they don't. But someone knows, and they won't say poo poo because they won't want mass quitting.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Fil5000 posted:

Man, I feel bad about the fact that sometimes I put clothes in a clothes recycling bin that are a bit past their best, I can't imagine having the lack of shame in giving what amounts to a plank of wood to a charity store.

a lot of the time the clothes recycling bins will just chop up the clothes and sell them as bulk cleaning rags to machine shops and car garages without even checking them

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

wizard2 posted:

Every CEO dreams of the Utopia without staff, product or customers.

A line going up, forever.

This is a beautiful quote. New thread title level quote.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Had to kick out a customer and got called a slur while he was on the way out. Clearance sales always bring out the worst people.

gegi
Aug 3, 2004
Butterfly Girl

AceClown posted:

a lot of the time the clothes recycling bins will just chop up the clothes and sell them as bulk cleaning rags to machine shops and car garages without even checking them

which if clearly labeled would be exactly what some people want. it would be a relief to know that no employee's time was wasted looking at my beyond-redemption holey crap.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Had a top 10 anime betrayal moment today. Early in my shift I noticed in one aisle there was a bunch of empty lumber carts and figured a bunch of customers were just abandoning them. I set them outside and continued on my day. Throughout the shift when I passed that aisle there would be another pair of empty lumber carts there and I would bring them back out.

Turns out the cart pushers had too many lumber carts outside and would bring them in and put them in that aisle.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Leal posted:

Turns out the cart pushers had too many lumber carts outside and would bring them in and put them in that aisle.

Whenever the cart goes outside, it wants to go inside. Whenever the cart is back inside, it wants to go outside! Make up your mind, cart! I'm tired of opening the door!

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
The cart knows where it is because it knows where it isn't.

dovetaile
Jul 8, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Funktastic posted:

I had to do the schedule a few times this month and have learned that for some reason the company only wants us to have the main fitting rooms open for 2 hours on Thursdays. Which of course has caused issues when they’ve been sending us more clothes this month than they’ve sent since Christmas.

:D Cannot wait for this bullshit to trickle down to our store. Maybe now corporate will let me loving close the empty fitting room to run my full rack and 3 go-backs full because MODs suck rear end.

Sad King Billy
Jan 27, 2006

Thats three of ours innit...to one of yours. You know mate I really think we ought to even up the average!

njsykora posted:

Staffing levels at work are getting so bad that the closing manager last night was "hand on the timeclock" close to just walking out. We were down to just 3 people after 10pm with no signs of customers slowing down and higher ups not budging at all on letting us do anything to ease the load like turning off deliveries. Something's going to snap here at some point because 2 of our 4 regular closing crew are already no-showing multiple shifts a week.

This has happened multiple times at my store, both opens and closes. They just draft in from other stores in the group

The Ops Supervisor just expects us to deal with it, not making the connection between labour and a profitable shift.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Yeah like no poo poo, if we don't have people the store gets a reputation for being dogshit slow and people stop coming. If we do have people we can push people through faster and therefore take more orders, especially with deliveries where drivers need to get out and hand orders off to accept more.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

So you're a driver and the gate guard comes out and refuses to open the gate for you because our computers say you have the trailer despite your device saying you have the right one. What do you do?

a) Apologize and immediately back up before a line forms behind you
b) Call driver support/dispatch
c) argue until there's a line of trucks behind you and yard workers who can't finish their moves because they're worried about hitting said line of trucks.

If you chose C you know what people are like. Finally they agreed to come back around and talk to the ship clerks. Turned out someone from our version of dispatch reached down from on-high and changed their information. Which would have been fine other than the fact that the information was changed everywhere in the system except on our local system. So the driver actually had the right trailer but we didn't know, and instead of just coming back around and talking to us so we could figure out what was going on, the driver just kept arguing.

Second best part was it was a 1:1 switcheroo so about five trucks after the driver agreed to come back into the inbound gate we saw what we thought was their trailer on another truck. Thankfully they didn't argue and came back around.

Actually best part was the driver got all upset about no longer having enough drive time to finish his trip before he ran into federal limits. While it's not your fault the load's information got messed up it is entirely your fault that you argued about it for about 15-20 minutes that could have been used to solve this faster.

Also on Thursday night we had a legit (small) tornado come through and mess up the town. A fuckton of hail and wind and we actually had some trailers in the overflow trailer parking in the front get hosed up:

Pictures taken (I assume) by one of the indoor workers and found on Reddit. I figure they were taken on their way out since after the storm passed everyone was let out early with pay for the rest of the shift because the building was without power.

It was one of my nights off, but I live real close so I was hit by the same storm. It was real wild that it just popped up out of nowhere and was so small, mainly hitting San Marcos. The weather report went from "Slight chance of storms" to "Incoming thunderstorm" to Kepler51 (our internal weather monitoring service) announcing "Yard closed: Destructive Storm Alert" In about 4 hours.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

AceClown posted:

Worth noting that one the most prominent of these is just straight up a scam, too.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planet_Aid

Did I say scam? That may be slightly understating it:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tvind

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 05:35 on May 14, 2024

Enos Shenk
Nov 3, 2011

Unfortunately our regional manager visit wasn't very amusing after our botched remodel. He cancelled then came in a different date and I wasn't even there to spill the dirt. Oh well.

We had truck this morning, and when we went out to get the paperwork and cut the seal the trucker said "Oh yeah, this trailer got broken in to when I was at a truck stop." Store manager spent an hour and a half just trying to get ahold at corporate to report it and find out what to do. She finally got put in touch with the lead of transportation at our company, and even they didn't know what to do. They finally told us to unload and audit the load since it was clear things were knocked over and dug through.

gently caress them, we just checked in the first 20 feet or so and the high value product. Ended up short like 13 cases of Tide, and 3 air conditioner units. SM was like "gently caress this, they don't pay ANY of us enough to inventory a whole trailer"

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

That's an entirely reasonable situation. At Amazon if a trailer is "blue tagged" because there's a potential of theft (arrived with the seal wrong/missing/damaged) Inbound dock is supposed to take everything out and audit.

Except they won't. They just scan everything in and let the system figure it out. The computer system is faster and better at spotting anything missing anyways and no one has the time or is paid for that poo poo. So out in the yard we really don't care if a trailer comes in with the wrong seal as long as the trailer itself isn't visibly damaged. Besides, if someone grabs stuff at random from an Amazon trailer they're more likely to grab kitty litter or detergent than anything of actual value.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Monday is the day the frozen pet food comes in. I've been doing the inventory for these shipments for years now and I have never, ever had a shipment where we received everything that was ordered.

Yesterday, every item on both manifests was accounted for. Today on out big shipment I finished my palette of canned food in under 3 hours. my 10am class that signed up online as a "mixed breed, small" turned out not be a yorkie or chihuahua trash dog, but a really cute gsd mix.

I'm convinced that something terrible is going to happen before I go on vacation at the end of the month.

cephalopods
Aug 11, 2013

I love when a customer asks how much something costs and the only expedient thing for me to do is drop whatever I'm doing, go stand next to the person, and read the price off the sign that's right in front of them at eye level.
Our signage is messy but it is there 99% of the time. Come on.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

I think I saw a power substation blow out last night. Was chilling in the guardshack when I saw a massive blue-green flash in the sky and I saw the town's lights go dark. Power at the warehouse flickered as well before everything started to reboot. Don't see anything in the news but boy was that a big flash.

One of the third party drivers got out to chat because the remote camera/checkout system was rebooting as well and he'd seen the massive flash too.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
You know it's a bad neighborhood when the Family Dollar is closed and has its windows boarded.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Alkydere posted:

Besides, if someone grabs stuff at random from an Amazon trailer they're more likely to grab kitty litter or detergent than anything of actual value.

Laundry detergent is a common item stolen for black market sale since everyone needs it, it never spoils, and it's difficult to trace.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pekinduck
May 10, 2008

Midjack posted:

Laundry detergent is a common item stolen for black market sale since everyone needs it, it never spoils, and it's difficult to trace.

I've noticed laundry detergent sometimes has a hard to remove "Only for sale at Walgreens" or similar sticker. I'm guessing that's an attempt to catch diversion.