Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

At this point I just added some custom metadata fields to my calibre library and type all my reviews and thoughts there. Also content warnings if and when someone asks me for them if I recommended a novel.

It's not so much that I hate gamification of the reading process, as much as it's disappointing to learn the website owners are selling my data.

I'll still rec indie books and do my part to get the word out. Oh, also its creepy to be on web sites that let you log minecraft rpf csem fanfics next to Dostoyevsky.

EDIT taking a look at that and huge lol a lot of books I've read aren't there. They expect me to populate their website? For free? gently caress that. That's like duolingo expecting users to pay a subscription fee to train their language ai.

value-brand cereal fucked around with this message at 18:39 on May 21, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
The less I touch Calibre, the better. I only use it for the bare necessities of keeping my DeDRM'd books. I never intended to use it for anything past that because it is not a good UI experience.

Why there isn't a better option that isn't some stolen version of it with a slapdash coat of paint on top annoys me.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

chibi luda posted:

Honestly I've gotten so fed up with the actual goodreads experience that I've started logging books I've read in a google spreadsheet lmao

No social function of course but I've yet to find a better option.

Not a spreadsheet, but I've got a word doc that I've been putting a few thoughts into on every book I read. I've only had it going for the last year or so, but it's already filling up nicely. Nothing too deep, I wouldn't call them reviews or anything, just light observations and my general thoughts on it.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
I just added a "finished? y/n" column to my calibre library

rollick
Mar 20, 2009
Zotero is a free reference manager with a desktop app synced to a web version, a browser extension that downloads publication details from Google books, and the ability to store files and annotations under each item. It's godly for organising texts of any sort, like articles, movies and webpages.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

chibi luda posted:

Honestly I've gotten so fed up with the actual goodreads experience that I've started logging books I've read in a google spreadsheet lmao

No social function of course but I've yet to find a better option.

hello fellow autistic reader

Yeah I use Goodreads but also manage my own spreadsheet in Numbers, because Goodreads is just slow and kinda crappy. But I do enjoy getting the recommendations from friends and randoms, so I keep using it.

I kinda wish that Amazon gave it more attention, if only to fix the speed issues, but they'd probably ruin it...

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

But I do enjoy getting the recommendations from friends and randoms, so I keep using it.
This is exactly what by I still use GoodReads as well.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I moved to a new workplace and since it's on a bus line and not at the end of a bus line as the previous place, I can't read the whole trip, as that would risk missing my stop. This suuuuuuucks!

The UN should do something about this, like bomb this place.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

I can't stand Goodreads, but I've been using StoryGraph. It doesn't have much social element, and I like graphs.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Enfys posted:

I can't stand Goodreads, but I've been using StoryGraph. It doesn't have much social element, and I like graphs.

That's me too, I like seeing "you've got a couple friends who also want to read this" when I add a book to read and otherwise it's nice, basic functionality

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Think this: read a book.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Not Wheel of Time tho.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Think this: read a book.

3D Megadoodoo posted: