Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

With ZFS, there's nothing preventing you from replacing it with an NVMe SSD using the zpool replace command.
ZFS doesn't give a gently caress about what driver you're using, nor what the disk is.

I expect that Generic Monk accidentally added it as a new single-disk vdev.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

It should probably throw a bunch of warnings at you if you try to make a special vdev without redundancy.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

I'm interested to learn how Generic Monk managed to learn about the 'special' vdev, without learning that it should always have its own redundancy via mirroring (or even n-way mirroring), though.
All the documentation I know of makes a big deal out of making it very explicit.

I saw it on a youtube video!!!!!!! I may have not even watched the entire video, I think I just heard that you could cache small files using that feature and thought it was a way to get some kind of tiered storage thing.

I know I could mirror it but honestly I can't be arsed; all the irreplacable stuff on here is backed up. Most of the stuff on here is movies and tv shows served over 1gbit, so it's not really affecting performance and there was no reason for me to enable it in the first place really. That goes for L2ARC and ZIL as well but you bet your arse I enabled those as well without really knowing what they did or that I wouldn't see any benefit at all.

I wanna rejig the array and add another HDD since I have a free bay in this microserver; either I watch all the movies on here and nuke/rebuild it or it craps out and I rebuild it. Same diff lol

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Even over 1gbit you may benefit from the much faster metadata with the special vdev for things that look up a lot of filenames - like listing huge directories or searching by filename.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Computer viking posted:

Even over 1gbit you may benefit from the much faster metadata with the special vdev for things that look up a lot of filenames - like listing huge directories or searching by filename.

Yeah, the latency improvement for those operations was one of the things that tempted me iirc. Anecdotally it seems to thrash the disks a lot less doing stuff like that. It would be interesting to do a test with it and without it, though can't do that for obvious reasons.

I don't really have many ports to work with hence why I don't really want to gently caress about with doing a mirror, but I do have a free expansion slot. Do they do low profile PCIE cards that let you put 2 M.2s on one card? I seem to recall there being some weird limitation with it unless you spent a boatload.

IOwnCalculus posted:

I expect that Generic Monk accidentally added it as a new single-disk vdev.

Guilty but I suppose you can still mirror to another device to get the data across

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Whoever made that video needs to delete it, because it's almost deliberate misinformation to claim it's a "cache" and that you can use a single disk.

Korean Boomhauer
Sep 4, 2008

Computer viking posted:

This would rule. Gonna set this up the moment it drops.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

I haven't benchmarked that, so it's just conjecture - but if it moves the directory entries to the SSD, I would certainly expect it to help.

Korean Boomhauer
Sep 4, 2008
Mostly I don't wanna thrash the spinning rust if I wanna search my NAS for something

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

I just have the content of my nas added to voidtools Everything, and despite it having to index (unlike local drives) it keeps up with changes and the search itself is instant.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Whoever made that video needs to delete it, because it's almost deliberate misinformation to claim it's a "cache" and that you can use a single disk.

I think the misunderstanding was entirely on my part tbf. Or I just didn’t care! This is just a hobby project that lives under my sofa after all; all the valuable stuff on it is backed up

e: I think it was this one and he doesn’t mention it!!!!!! lol I like wendell as well

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QI4SnKAP6cQ&pp=ygUbemZzIG1ldGFkYXRhIHNvZWNpYWwgZGV2aWNl

still shoulda done my research tho

Generic Monk fucked around with this message at 19:47 on May 16, 2024

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
4:18 "it should have some level of redundancy".

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Combat Pretzel posted:

Even when demonstrating this with truncate'd files, I've used redundancy.
Wendel is a good enough educator that he should've known better.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Combat Pretzel posted:

Oops lol

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

ah, the old load bearing "should"

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

is this the right thread to ask why my Sonarr is broken all of a sudden or is there a better place for that?

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

bawfuls posted:

is this the right thread to ask why my Sonarr is broken all of a sudden or is there a better place for that?

I'm running the latest stable right now and it seems to be working. Maybe try their GH page to see if someone else is having your issue.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Definitely check logs, I've been hit with some DB corruption issues that essentially stops any function in Sonarr from working properly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Not sure what I'm even looking for in the log files.

When Sonarr searches either automatically or manually, it sees no results. This is true for any show I've tried. But within Sonarr settings, when I test my indexers they all work. The indexers also work in Jackett, and in Radarr. When I search in Radarr I get results as expected. Some of these indexers are generic, like the pirate bay, so they are identical between Sonarr and Radarr.

The Sonarr log file shows a search attempt and just says no results found.

edit: It might actually be just for certain shows, which is something other people seem to have issue with. It might just be one show that has weird title formatting and another show that I haven't been able to find on indexers for a year.

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 01:52 on May 18, 2024