Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Anyone got decent guides on how to get hardware video decode working on Chrome on Wayland on NVidia? The CUDA stuff is installed and all, and I'm using the nvidia-vaapi-driver, setting the VaapiDecoder flag on Chrome, which in turn shows "Hardware accelerated" in chrome://gpu in Video Decode, but the Video Acceleration Information section at the bottom of said page is blank.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

mawarannahr posted:

It's supposed to be in Rust but with the initial release, who knows! I would be more concerned with bugs and incomplete implementation, personally.

Oh I totally won't be touching it until sometime next year probably, maybe play with it in vm before that.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

WattsvilleBlues posted:

It is, but if it performs the same as Ubuntu, I think Kubuntu would be a better fit for my friend since it's more like a Windows experience.

Edit - actually I'm reading that Plasma is a lot more resource-intensive. Shame.

I run KDE on a 7 year old laptop that wasn't fast even when it was new. It's no trouble at all for me.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Combat Pretzel posted:

Anyone got decent guides on how to get hardware video decode working on Chrome on Wayland on NVidia? The CUDA stuff is installed and all, and I'm using the nvidia-vaapi-driver, setting the VaapiDecoder flag on Chrome, which in turn shows "Hardware accelerated" in chrome://gpu in Video Decode, but the Video Acceleration Information section at the bottom of said page is blank.

Huh, I had this working (with Vivaldi, but same difference) on my Manjaro install, but looking at it now I have the same thing as you. Are you using a flatpak?

edit: and I'm on AMD so it's not a nvidia problem.
making it run in X11 mode isn't working either. I think this may be a flatpak problem.

Klyith fucked around with this message at 20:09 on May 23, 2024

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I spent two hours trying to figure out HW acceleration in Firefox with Nvidia until I realized I should really just be using the Intel driver on my Optimus laptop and then it Just Worked

Switching from flatpak to native was part of the process though

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Klyith posted:

Huh, I had this working (with Vivaldi, but same difference) on my Manjaro install, but looking at it now I have the same thing as you. Are you using a flatpak?
Nope, did install it with dnf. I'm surprised by that disconnect by showing available hardware acceleration and an empty detail section. Problem is I can't figure out whether it does hardware decode and it just can't enumerate specifics, or whether it's entirely broken. When running under Wayland, nvidia-settings shows less information for whatever reason (it's supposed to be able to show Video Engine load), so I can't tell it apart.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Use nvidia-smi to see if the Chrome process shows up when you're playing a video

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Any ideas why sound will come out of my headphones connected to my front jack, but not the speakers plugged into my motherboard? Same behavior in both Fedora and OpenSUSE, using GNOME in both. Trying to give Linux another shot but my god I cannot believe it's just all the same problems as 20 years ago.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

wicka posted:

Any ideas why sound will come out of my headphones connected to my front jack, but not the speakers plugged into my motherboard? Same behavior in both Fedora and OpenSUSE, using GNOME in both. Trying to give Linux another shot but my god I cannot believe it's just all the same problems as 20 years ago.

Could be something like the issue I have with the ALC298 sound chip in my Razer laptop. I have to run a script at startup to manually send commands to turn on the speakers, otherwise the laptop will only output over a headphone jack and bluetooth.

https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=207423#c94

Actually no on a re-read it shouldn't be that at all

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 22:08 on May 23, 2024

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

wicka posted:

I have the same damned problem with Windows, it's always picking some bizarre new combination of my 3 mics and 4 outputs.

In Linux, each output device gets an identifier. You need to tell your UI which one to use.

How do you do that in the UI? Who frickin' knows! I bet it's equally as logical in the Windows kernel, and the UI obscures it into oblivion with a bunch of ease-of-use things that work really nicely for 75% of users.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

No, it sees the device fine and sets it as the default. It just doesn't output audio to it.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
OK. Whew. I think I hate flatpak.

Played around with a bunch of flags & command arguments, no dice.

Played around with various flatseal permissions, no dice.

Played around with some flatseal permissions and arguments at the same time, all GPU acceleration in Vivaldi stopped working entirely.

Reset flatseal. It didn't go back to normal. Tried rebooting. Still broken! Tried to reset to defaults with flatpak command line, it says I have no overrides. Play around with other things, find out that it works when I run the command to launch vivaldi from a console window, it works. It's only broken when I run it from the GUI shortcut.

The commands I am using in the console and what's in the .desktop file is exactly the same:
/usr/bin/flatpak run --branch=stable --arch=x86_64 --command=vivaldi com.vivaldi.Vivaldi --ignore-gpu-blocklist

At this point I say "gently caress this". Find that the instructions to install vivaldi in suse are actually very easy. Do that.

It works fine (once I move my profile back out of the flatpack zone into .config).

Add --enable-features=VaapiVideoDecodeLinuxGL,VaapiVideoEncoder to the command arguments.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

wicka posted:

Have you tried just adding this extension and checking if you can select it through that?

https://extensions.gnome.org/extension/906/sound-output-device-chooser/

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

keep punching joe posted:

Have you tried just adding this extension and checking if you can select it through that?

https://extensions.gnome.org/extension/906/sound-output-device-chooser/

Pretty sure this was installed by default. Again, I am not having issues seeing or selecting the device. It just doesn't output audio.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

wicka posted:

No, it sees the device fine and sets it as the default. It just doesn't output audio to it.

Maybe your UI isn't honoring the default, then.

I mean, we're all just black-box debugging here. I hate computers.

Although I do recall a motherboard where if I plugged something into the front 3.5mm jack, it closed a switch that prevented output from going out the back. It wasn't a software thing: it was hardware.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

cruft posted:

I mean, we're all just black-box debugging here. I hate computers.

I was mostly hoping this would be a "oh yeah, you have the well known X problem" situation, rather than the unfortunate realization that Linux is still amateur hour.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

wicka posted:

Linux is still amateur hour.

Yeah, if you want a Linux kernel but don't want amateur-developed software, you should look into ChromeOS or Android. They're really nice!

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Figured it out. "Auto mute" was enabled in alsamixer.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

the amateur ebkac smdh

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
alsa? What is this, 2019?

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

spiritual bypass posted:

alsa? What is this, 2019?

I'm not aware of any other way of getting sound to speakers in linux at the moment. OSS has been deprecated (must have been, haven't checked) for ... quite a while now.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Tiny Timbs posted:

the amateur ebkac smdh

Are you under the impression that I turned this on or some poo poo?

pentium166
Oct 15, 2012
I've definitely had to go into alsamixer and toggle some random poo poo that wasn't exposed in the desktop environment's audio controls, but that was years ago and I have no idea what the state of the audio stack is on my various Linux machines now (and that's how I likes it).

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Volguus posted:

I'm not aware of any other way of getting sound to speakers in linux at the moment. OSS has been deprecated (must have been, haven't checked) for ... quite a while now.

I actually don't know how it works now. Is alsa still the final receptacle of the audio stream before actual output? Everything I've had to actually touch in the last few years was Pulse, Pipewire, or Wireplumber

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

spiritual bypass posted:

I actually don't know how it works now. Is alsa still the final receptacle of the audio stream before actual output? Everything I've had to actually touch in the last few years was Pulse, Pipewire, or Wireplumber

Alsa has the drivers. In the kernel. If that is not there (or doesn't work or is muted or 1 billion other things) ... well, I suppose with pulse/pipewire you can still stream over the network.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Bluetooth audio doesn't involve ALSA at all.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

pseudorandom name posted:

Completely forgot about bluetooth. Yeah, that's a different beast.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

pseudorandom name posted:

I had this hot take tirade about Bluetooth, but given its complexity, avoiding kernel space is probably a smart move.

I'm pretty sure ALSA will let you register audio sources and sinks from userspace, so the Bluetooth audio service daemon wotzit can probably provide whatever's needed to whatever needs it. I know you can do this with MIDI, at least.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Volguus posted:

Alsa has the drivers. In the kernel. If that is not there (or doesn't work or is muted or 1 billion other things) ... well, I suppose with pulse/pipewire you can still stream over the network.
Ah, memories. I once ran 20,000 systems with PulseAudio loopback sinks

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Vulture Culture posted:

Ah, memories. I once ran 20,000 systems with PulseAudio loopback sinks

Ok, can you expand on that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Debuffed
Dec 19, 2003
I never post
Apologies if this is the wrong place entirely to ask this, but I'm struggling and I'm hoping someone with knowledge of create react might be able to help.

I was trying to setup this project https://github.com/judahpaul16/gpt-home and didn't think I'd have any issues as it uses a setup script to basically sort everything for you. So I thought even my self with some but not a lot of Linux knowledge would be fine! I even made sure to use Ubuntu Server and a Raspberry Pi 4 - just like the developer - to reduce the chance of issues.

The setup script didn't work 100% like the Github page said it would, and would fail, until I installed the dependencies manually then it all worked beautifully and the services etc were setup.

The project is useless without the web interface, and as far as I could tell, this isn't set up by default, and the instructions at https://github.com/judahpaul16/gpt-home/tree/main/src/frontend need to be followed to get it up and running and hosted.

So - I followed these instructions exactly and ran sudo npm install (I had to actually install npm first), and that ran ok, with a few warnings about depreciated things but no critical errors. Then I ran sudo npm start, and it compiled and started hosting on port 3000 with no errors, it specifically said all is ok.

I was then able to connect and see the web page, the Integrations page seemed to work fine, but the event logs page would show an error "JSON.parse: unexpected character at line 1 column 1 of the JSON data" and the settings page would just say "Loading" forever.

Additionally if I try and build the project with sudo npm run build, that works ok, but when I serve it with sudo serve -s build, it starts serving fine, but when looking at the web page at localhost:3000 I either get just a directory listing of the files in the frontend/build folder, or I get a screen prompting me to choose a password, but if I try and set one, I get the error "Error hashing password: undefined". I would expect to at least see the same website as when running sudo npm test, even if it's broken.

I have absolutely no idea what I could have done wrong or what the problem is. I would imagine if everyone was having this problem, it would be apparent in the Issues section on Github, so I don't think it's a problem with the project in general.

If anyone could offer any advice or point me in the right direction to try and get this sorted, I'd be really grateful.

Thanks!

Debuffed fucked around with this message at 13:33 on May 24, 2024