Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

And this is assuming that it even is a monster from a D&D book. It could be something from another RPG entirely that either somehow survived the destruction of its world and ended up on this one. After all, I think Rich just said it wasn't something he made up, not that it was a D&D monster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Randalor posted:

And this is assuming that it even is a monster from a D&D book. It could be something from another RPG entirely that either somehow survived the destruction of its world and ended up on this one. After all, I think Rich just said it wasn't something he made up, not that it was a D&D monster.

I think he said it was a d&d monster. I like the render because it hits at least three clues (it wasn't in its normal habitat, goblins love it, and it makes strong connections with people), and you can explain the rest of the abilities as 'a wizard did it'.

But i don't know much will turn on it, we'll probably just find out and it will be like "oh, ok it's one of those"

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Guat of Wind.

Satisfaction Guaranteed
Jan 17, 2001

Forum Veteran

All the text just leans in so hard but The "bond with Intelligent creature" set off a alarm bell

He's wanted to reconnect with Ochul like crazy and has protected him in the past.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Satisfaction Guaranteed posted:

All the text just leans in so hard but The "bond with Intelligent creature" set off a alarm bell

He's wanted to reconnect with Ochul like crazy and has protected him in the past.

it also... idk, there's a flavour to rich's thinking, and this fits it more for me than all the BABY GODSPAWN stuff. maybe it's just a big, slightly weird, scary monster. what matters is unlikely to be what species it is, what will matter is what it has become as a character.

that said I don't think i've predicted a single oots plot twist accurately so you would be ill-advised to bet on my predictions lol

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

The big "mechanical" thing that needs to pay off (to me) is the MitD seeming to have some sort of Wish ability where he really wanted Mr Stiffy and his friend to be safe from eating a point blank Meteor Swarm, and I'm not sure how a Grey Render would fulfill that.

Also, a grey render is pretty low on the totem pole of the monster power. At CR 8, it's sort of monster that might have gotten one or two pages as a gag in the first hundred pages, not the sort you build up a decade+ reveal on.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

d20 SRD says the following (bolding mine):

quote:

A unique quality of the gray render is its tendency to bond with, protect, and provide for another creature (or group of creatures) native to its surroundings. Whether accepted or not, the render always attempts to remain fairly close, watching over its adopted charge(s) and daily bringing an offering of meat.
I don't think the MitD has been seen giving away meat at all, let alone daily.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?
MitD is a good man, and that's all that matters.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

ultrafilter posted:

Well... I wouldn't say that.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

ultrafilter posted:

Well how can they have their pudding

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Int 3 for a creature that's shown clearly human intelligence on its own is a pretty massive stretch, to say nothing about the fact that it has no spellcasting capabilities at all.

Might as well say it's a super-intelligent bear at that point; that'd at least have the right number of eyes.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

AnoHito posted:

Int 3 for a creature that's shown clearly human intelligence on its own is a pretty massive stretch, to say nothing about the fact that it has no spellcasting capabilities at all.

Might as well say it's a super-intelligent bear at that point; that'd at least have the right number of eyes.
Can you awaken non-animal? Is awaken in 3.5 and how broken is it?

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Toplowtech posted:

Can you awaken non-animal? Is awaken in 3.5 and how broken is it?

You can awaken a normal plant or tree. It exists in 3.5e as well, and other than bestowing variable mental stats and turning the animal into a magical beast, it's not significantly different from what 5e does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
I just finished re-reading book 6, and in the afterword — written in November 2019 — Burlew says he wouldn’t be surprised if it takes another five years to finish the story.

I have real doubts we’re a quarter of the way through, and I’ll eat a hat if it’s a third.