Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Go is so good. I’m glad to see it finally getting its due

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
I haven't seen Go. But been hearing about it lately, so going to have to watch it this month.

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

Escobarbarian posted:

Go is so good. I’m glad to see it finally getting its due

I wish Dinner for Five hadn't been nuked from youtube, because there s a funny argument between Jay Mohr and Tim Olyphant about that movie.

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
Criterion live dropped me 20 minutes into Mississippi Masala last night, what a picture

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023
Their YouTube channel just dropped Ethan Hawke and his daughter Maya in the closet too

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Stegosnaurlax posted:

Their YouTube channel just dropped Ethan Hawke and his daughter Maya in the closet too

He's on the extremely short list of people to make two closet appearances. I think Wim Wenders is the only other person to do that.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
Man I just watched The Strangler on criterion channel. That movie rocked. Beautiful to look at as well.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Maya rules. Great selection also, especially Picnic at Hanging Rock

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
We watched Bringing out the Dead and I feel like I need a rewatch to fully understand a lot of the parallels. It’s a very funny movie that manages just the right amount of bite to keep everything grounded.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
I watched that last night too and I….didnt love it like I was expecting too. I love weird Scorsese - After Hours is one of my faves - but BOTD just felt slightly mis-calibrated. The tone was never right for what he was trying to do. There’s great moments and performances of course, I especially loved Ving Rhames, but I’m not exactly sure what he’s going for with it. Patricia Arquette is also very bad.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
I also quite enjoyed Bringing out the Dead. If you work in medicine or have family in the job, then the feeling of powerless in saving people with overwhelmed hospitals or people's poor choices feels real. Plus Cage.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003
August titles:

Brief Encounters / The Long Farewell: Two Films by Kira Muratova
The Last Emperor (4K)
Mother (1996) (4K)
Not a Pretty Picture
Real Life (4K)

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Is there any chance of a Yojimbo/Sanjuro 4K upgrade in the near future? My Sanjuro disc’s been dead for years now but I’m hesitant to replace it because those feel like inevitable upgrades.

Brexit the Frog
Aug 22, 2013

hell loving yes to more Albert Brooks but lol @ those particular films going straight to 4K

SeductiveReasoning
Nov 2, 2005

382 BC - 301 BC

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Is there any chance of a Yojimbo/Sanjuro 4K upgrade in the near future? My Sanjuro disc’s been dead for years now but I’m hesitant to replace it because those feel like inevitable upgrades.

Seven Samurai, Yojimbo, Sanjuro, and Stray Dogs all have 4K releases in Japan (region-free but no English subs). I think it's just a matter of time and licensing before they come to America but who knows when.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

wrong mother

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Had the same reaction to the announcement, lol

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Great to see The Last Emperor get an upgrade. The Arrow edition seems to have nice extras, but Criterion's original 4-disc DVD set was way more comprehensive. I'm going to guess the television cut will be the remastered 2.35:1 version used for Arrow's release since it was exclusive to Criterion's 4-disc DVD released way back in 2007. Kind of surprised they opted not to do a refresh of the Blu-ray since besides the 2.00:1 aspect ratio, all the extras are crammed onto the same disc. Even for the 4K UHD, they really should have made it a 4-disc release with the theatrical cut on 4K and Blu, one Blu just for the TV cut, and a third Blu for extras. Not sure why they're penny pinching on Best Picture winners.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I think we'll get Seven Samurai first, then a Yojimbo/Sanjuro double next. The white whale seems to be a comprehensive Kurosawa box set, despite licensing being realistic. I wonder if the holdup has become Dersu Uzala because it's a Mosfilm property.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

me, fan of saving money and already with a billion box sets I still haven't started consuming yet: "there need to be more boxsets"

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

there's gotta be 20+ movies with that title, alright folks is time for your mother rankings

Carillon
May 9, 2014

1) Mother
2) Mother
3) Mother
4) It's tough, but I think a tie between Mother and Mother.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer
My favorite Mother is Earthbound.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

edit: wrong thread

Brexit the Frog
Aug 22, 2013

lol i didn't notice that a freshly restored World's Greatest Sinner is on criterion channel

sadfly
Jan 27, 2011

Why doesn’t Criterion have any films by:

-Harmony Korine (Trash Humpers is on the Criterion Channel but does that mean anything? I would also love to see the entire Southbound series by his father Sol Korine on Eclipse but do they even do Eclipse stuff anymore?)
-Gaspar Noe (despite doing a closet picks vid - nada)
-Werner Herzog (they have Burden of Dreams by Les Blank but not Fitzcarraldo?!)
-Vincent Gallo
-Frances Ford Coppola (OK so they have Rumblefish which is terrific but still)
-Leos Carax
-Alan Clarke
-Quentin Tarantino

Just to name a few, off the top of my head

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Probably a mixture of rights and there being a lot of worthy movies and only so much time. I would love to see Gummo or Holy Motors get the Criterion treatment, though.